The relationship between the company and its employees is changing under the influence of a volatile environment. skills are the pillars of the company's durability. Productivity and motivation at work are directly linked. A Gallup study shows that investing in talent engagement improves profitability by 21%.
The Strategic Workforce Planning is designed to predict what jobs and skills will be like, it also addresses other issues: what are the challenges of Strategic Workforce Planning ?
We identify 3 categories of issues:
- The challenges of diagnosis and evaluation of internal resources.
- The challenges of projection and anticipation.
- The challenges of building trajectories conducive to engaging talent.
The issues of diagnosis, initial assessment of the Strategic Workforce Planning
In order to carry out a policy of Strategic Workforce Planningpolicy, an inventory of the existing situation is carried out. This diagnosis must be exhaustive, based on existing data and information to be collected for the occasion. This diagnosis makes it possible to determine the needs in terms of qualifications, the potentially vacant jobs and the obsolete roles to be developed.
What is the diagnosis about Strategic Workforce Planning ?
- The economic situation of the company and its business prospects
- The impact of business prospects on jobs, professions and skills in the company
- Quantitative and qualitative evaluation of the trades and skills key currently available
- An assessment of current practices and their relevance (tools and indicators, recruitment and mobility practices)
This inventory of the current situation therefore requires an analysis of the workforce structure (age pyramid, M/F distribution, seniority, etc.). It is also an opportunity to examine the resources available to the company and the performance of the processes.
The issues of projection, anticipation of the Strategic Workforce Planning
The Gestion Prévisionnelle des Emplois et skills is an instrument proposed to human resources which nevertheless has a compulsory aspect, it must be the subject of negotiations every 3 years. The approach consists in anticipating the evolution of jobs within a company and to carry out an adaptation of skills talents.
To achieve this, we recommend answering the following questions:
- What skills are present today but may not be shared tomorrow?
- Which skills are not present today and will be present tomorrow?
- What are the skills that are present today but not essential tomorrow?
The purpose of the tool Strategic Workforce Planning is to put the right person in the most suitable position, following the principle of the Scientific Work Organization as theorized by Frederick Taylor at the end of the 19th century: "the right man at the right place". The underlying idea of considering each staff member as being efficient in a well-defined position is evolving today towards a logic of versatility to face uncertainties.
Management planning must meet a dual challenge: developing skills specific to the company's sector while providing a base of cross-functional skills able to meet the need for flexibility.
We offer you these additional resources on the theme of Strategic Workforce Planning :
- The tools of the Strategic Workforce Planning
- The evolution of the Strategic Workforce Planning to the Jobs & Skills Management
- How to implement an agreement Strategic Workforce Planning ?
The issues of organization, construction of trajectories of the Strategic Workforce Planning
The aim of this approach is to offer increased employability and to make it clear what career paths are possible internally. The purpose of consulting with employee representative bodies is to discuss the best ways to offer internal development: integration, mentoring, training, mobility, ....
In the end, the company gets 4 benefits from the approach Strategic Workforce Planning :
- Rethink the internal organization in the face of new imperatives to ensure commitment and improve QWL.
- Encourage the transmission of know-how and knowledge by anticipating the departure of talent.
- Empower employees and managers to personalize their career paths.
- Anticipate recruitments according to the structural needs of skills and the wishes of internal mobility.
Promote internal mobility within your company Strategic Workforce Planning
One of the recommendations resulting from the Strategic Workforce Planning may be to encourage internal mobility, to move a population from one job to another. In this case, internal mobility will be associated with a major reskilling plan.
This is what Sage has achieved by moving from an "On-Premise" business model to SaaS. Marie-Claude Chazot, the HR Director, we invite you to listen to her talk about this transformation.
The challenge of visualizing non-traditional career opportunities requires real-time mapping of skills . This tool, derived from the skills repositories, highlights job bridges and gaps in levels that need to be filled.
Learn more about this topic:
- How to retain talent?
- Good management practices for skills
- Making employees active players in their careers